Juan, José and Vicente Lladró
made their first creations inspired by an experimental vocation in a
Moorish furnace built in their own home in Almàssera (Valencia). In this
way, they develop their artistic interest as they work in a tile and
crockery factory. These carefully designed pieces already have a special
charm that awakens public interest.
By 1955 they
begin making sculptures in which a clear influence of the trends of the
XVIII century can be observed. These pieces evoke the works of former
porcelain artists such as Meissen, Sèvres and Capodimonte.
In 1958 Juan,
José and Vicente
decide to dedicate themselves exclusively to their own works and transfer
their small company to a warehouse in the neighboring town of Tavernes
Blanques, because the family workshop has become too small for their
business. Demand for Lladró creations grows unexpectedly. The brothers
introduce innovations not only in the design and style of the figurines
but also in the firing techniques, reducing the three-layer firing to a
one-layer process. One-firing is an innovative method which creates the
crystalline finish and the pastel tonalities typical of Lladró works.
number of sculptors, chemists and decorators increase the production of
the brothers’ work. They soon decide to incorporate a logo on all their
figurines. Beside “Porcelanas Lladró”, they add a Greek
master piece, the Victory of Samotracia, thus associating their surname to
the ideal of classical art.
By the end of this decade, Lladró opens a store in Valencia and two more
within a few years’ time.
The official Lladro